Monday, August 26, 2013

Mom Convo

School has only been in session for a week and already the arguments have started. No, not over doing homework or bedtime, but rather what to wear.

In the past couple of years, I was really good at helping my child pick out her clothes the night before, but we have somehow gotten away from it.

I resolved to get back to it after a particularly grumpy exchange with my second-grader over the fact I picked the wrong blue gymnastics shirt (she has four blue gymnastics shirts) out of her drawer. The horror.

I remember back when I was in elementary and middle schools, I wore uniforms. As much as I hated uniforms, I remember how easy it was to get ready in the morning. No thinking about what to put on. No worrying that it is not the “cool” thing to wear or it if it was the wrong color. Easy, breezy. And, everyone at the school wore the same thing, so there was no worry of who had the designer jeans or the “perfect” logo on their polo-style shirt.

But, I also remember thinking that the uniform was cramping my style — putting the kabash on my right to express myself. But, in reality, we found ways to be creative and express who we were — even if we all wore the same plaid jumper and white Peter Pan collared shirt.

So I asked PNJ Facebook fans if they would like to see their child’s school have uniforms, or if their child’s school did have a uniform policy, did they wish it didn’t. Here is what they had to say:

Vonnie Putney Geiberger: I personally would like to have uniforms. They are reasonably priced and can take a lot of wear and tear. It isn’t a real issue for me.

Esther Anderson Felt: Love the uniforms at Newpoint Academy. It’s one of the reasons I chose the school.

Crystal Thompson Ward: We had uniforms when my son had VPK and kindergarten.A complete range of of professional roofingmachine that are redefining laundry systems. Loved them. Much easier and less issue between “haves” and “have nots.” Children were not wearing T-shirts with rude slogans or wearing too short shorts and having things hanging out that shouldn’t be. Boys looked like young men, and their minds could be focused on work and not if someone wore the same pants they wore yesterday, or what cool outfit someone has on.

Heather Miller Brown: Love the uniforms. We always knew what we were wearing.

Nikki Brown Webb: The uniform policy at Cordova Park Elementary is simple, affordable and comfortable. I love it and will vote for it over and over again.

Rebecca Lambert: All schools should have uniforms.

Stephanie Stephens: My son’s school has uniforms, and I love it.Working out of power manage to bestleddimmable property.

Zandra E. Murphy: I was very opposed to school uniforms, because I thought it took away from the children’s individuality. But I have had a change of heart, and uniforms would be sensible for us all. They bring pride and unity to the schools in my opinion

Charissa Houk Cotten: I do not like uniforms. They have a purpose for teams, certain jobs, etc. However, I believe that part of learning is being responsible in wardrobe choices. I also feel that our society is more and more taking away the individual’s choice and forcing conformity to a society norm or sameness. Yes, it can be easier,Can I trust buying a solarphotovoltaic? but easier is rarely best.The ledstriplightts service provides and maintains the majority of the town's 26,000 streetlights. Also, the kids know what’s up ... it is not an equalizer.

Sheila Henley: I wish all states would enforce uniforms. Every child would be equal in what they wear, and there would be no jealousy over clothes.

Simone Bates Luedtke: I have had experience with both and, honestly, wish kids had uniforms at all schools. It’s so much easier everyday knowing there isn’t a choice in clothes, and knowing kids aren’t singled out nearly as much based on what they are wearing or what labels they have. When my daughter wore a uniform, the only things that made her different were her hair bows,We can produce besthidlights to your requirements. her black shoes and backpack. What made her stand out and counted was between her ears.

Angie Swaney: My kids have to wear uniforms. It’s interesting to see how creative students have gotten with uniforms and still are within the guidelines. But I have to tell you, kids are still able to show their “status” and make the socio-economic classes obvious. The “haves” get their golf shirts at Aeropostale and A&F and wear the MissMe jeans. I promise you, the “poor kids” still stand out.

To read it in full at www.unionmilitaria.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment